CSA Week 8
In the box this week:
- Chiogga beets
- Celery (strong flavor for eating raw, but has a wonderful flavor for cooking)
- Summer squash
- Yellow pepper
- Italian Kale
Vegetable and Barley Soup
- Simmer 3/4 cup barley in water (this is just to get it cooking while you prep everything else, it will finish cooking in the soup)
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil or butter on medium heat. Add chopped onions, pepper, carrots, celery, potatoes, beets if you want (the chiogga beets won't turn everything pink). Stir around and cook until onions are soft. Add some chopped garlic.
- Add vegetable broth, and extra water, so that there is plenty of liquid to cover all the veggies. Add partially cooked barley.
- Add herbs and spices. I like to use thyme, oregano, paprika, chile powder, black pepper and salt.
- Bring soup to a boil and simmer for at least 20 more minutes. Toward the end of cooking add chopped kale.
- Serve hot with bread and butter.