CSA Week 18
Chilly mornings and hot afternoons make for a wonderful summer-autumn mix of produce for the CSA.
In the box this week:
- Galia melon
- Head lettuce
- Red beets
- Onions (red, yellow, and cippolini)
- Delicata squash
- Sweet corn
Roasted Delicata Squash
Cut delicata squash in half. Brush olive oil or melted butter on the inside of the squash. Choose your favorite herb to sprinkle on top, add some salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for about 30-45 min at 375* or until soft. You can eat the skin, flesh and seeds.
Chocolate Beet Brownies
- 2-3 medium size cooked and pureed beets, to equal 1 cup
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour or All-Purpose Wheat Flour
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I like Ghiardelli brand)
- 2 tablespoons strong black coffee (optional)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350F Grease an 8 x 8″ pan. Set aside.
Combine butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, coffee, and beets.
Whisk dry ingredients. Flour and cocoa powder. Fold in beet mixture, add chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting.