CSA week 2, May 10
Welcome to week 2! We've all been enjoying this temperate springtime weather, and our crops have as well. This time around, many of you have ordered broccoli - good choice! Here is a broccoli recipe I've been wanting to try.
Flaky Broccoli Pockets
oil for greasing baking sheet
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup minced onion
1 medium head head broccoli florets, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic
2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 1/4 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
2 tablespoons lemon juice
10 sheets thawed phyllo pastry (about 1/2 pound)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion; saute for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until the broccoli is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in the feta, bread crumbs, olives, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4, Lay a single sheet of phyllo dough on the counter or a cutting board. Lightly brush the top side with oil or melted butter, then top with another sheet and brush with oil or butter. Continue this process until you have 5 sheets layered on top of one another (do not butter/oil the top layer at this point). Repeat this procedure with the 5 remaining sheets to make a second stack.
5. Working with the first stack of phyllo, place half the filling at one short end of the dough, leaving about a 1-inch border of dough. Fold in the sides and gently roll the pastry to make a log. Carefully transfer the pastry to the oiled baking sheet. Brush the top of the log with more oil/butter. Repeat this procedure to make a second log with the remaining phyllo stack and filling and place it on the pan.
6. Bake until pastry is golden and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Cut with a serrated knife and serve hot or at room temperature.