CSA week 13, July 26
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of eggplant, but I've heard that when it's prepared right it can be really tasty. Well I had some grilled eggplant recently and it was good! Here is one recipe, but there are many different ways to grill eggplant. Go ahead and find a recipe that's appealing to you!
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce (preferably dark soy)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 small fresh red chili peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 2 medium globe eggplants or 4 Japanese eggplants
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Start a grill or preheat broiler. Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, chilies, salt, pepper and sugar, if using, in a large nonreactive bowl and set aside.
- Slice globe eggplants into 3/4-inch rounds or cut Japanese eggplants in half lengthwise. Marinate the eggplant in the sauce for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant and reserve the sauce. Brush both sides of the slices with oil. Grill or broil until nicely browned and tender, about 5 minutes a side. (Do this in 2 batches if necessary to keep from crowding eggplant.) Remove to a platter and pour the reserved sauce over the eggplant. Serve immediately.