Thank you to all who have signed up for our CSA this season. This time, we are excited to bring you personalized boxes filled with produce that YOU have selected. We hope that allowing members to choose what they want will make receiving a CSA more flexible and realistic. No more wondering what to do with the kohlrabi! No more excess produce expiring in your fridge! No more worrying about picking up your box when you're out of town! But all changes take some adjusting to. Give it a shot, see how you like it, and let us know what you think.
We couldn't resist - springtime calls for a salad recipe. The greens are happy this time of year, and so are the turnips...
Turnip and Apricot Salad with Toasted Walnuts and Creamy Greens Dressing
1/2 cup walnut pieces
4-5 salad turnips, cut into matchstick-size sticks
1/2 cup finely sliced apricots
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
1 bunch turnip or radish greens, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 shallots, quartered
1-2 chile peppers, stems and seeds removed, quartered
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon horsradish
1 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
salad greens of your choice
1. Toast the walnuts over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until browned and fragrant. Transfer to a dish to cool.
2. Combine turnips, apricots, and walnuts in a large bowl.
3. Put parsley, chopped greens, vegetable oil, olive oil, vinegar, and yogurt into a blender; process briefly until ingredients are just combined. Add shallots, chile pepper, garlic, dry mustard, horseradish, and soy sauce/tamari; process until thick and creamy. If necessary, thin the dressing with a little extra yogurt or a tablespoon of cold water.
4. Pour the dressing over the turnip-apricot-walnut mixture; toss until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Line individual plates with a generous amount of salad greens; spoon the turnip mixture on top. Serve immediately.